[IPython-User] HOWTO Installation from source without administrator permission?

Konrad Hinsen konrad.hinsen@fastmail....
Wed Sep 28 02:19:29 CDT 2011

On 28 sept. 11, at 03:16, HM wrote:

> The instruction in the web page below indicates one needs
> administrator permission to install ipython into python path.
> http://ipython.org/ipython-doc/stable/install/install.html
> I would like to install in my home directory as I do not have root/
> admin permission. How to?

The simplest solution is the one pointed out by Fernando: add --user
to the command line.

Another approach is to use virtualenv (http://pypi.python.org/pypi/virtualenv
) to create a virtual Python installation in your home directory, into
which you can then install IPython (or anything else) without any
special precautions. The virtual Python installation consists mostly
of links to the main Python, so it doesn't take much space.

Virtualenv is probably overkill if all you need is to install a few
additional packages. It shines when you need different versions of
some package readily available. For example, I run the IPython
development branch in a virtualenv environment, whereas the main
installation contains only official releases of Python packages.

Konrad