[IPython-User] Setting PyDev (Eclipse) as an editor for iPython

Thomas Kluyver takowl@gmail....
Mon Apr 9 14:01:10 CDT 2012

On 7 April 2012 23:13, federico vaggi <vaggi.federico@gmail.com> wrote:
> quick question.  Is there an easy way to set up PyDev as the default editor
> (aka, when you hit 'edit' in iPython) for Python files within iPython?  I
> imagine there might be some complications because Eclipse insists that every
> file that is created belongs to a project, etc etc...

I'm not an Eclipse user, but the key question is: is there a shell
command you can enter that will open a given filename in
Eclipse/Pydev? Bonus points if it allows specifying a line number.

Note that %edit also behaves a bit differently in the terminal to the
Qt console: terminal IPython expects %edit to block until the user
closes the file in the editor.

Thomas