[IPython-User] carriage return in ipython notebook?

mqk kuhlen@gmail....
Mon Apr 9 16:27:13 CDT 2012

Hi

The carriage return character '\r' doesn't seem to work for me in an ipython
notebook (0.12 or 0.13.dev). I'm on linux (xubuntu 12.04).

In an ipython shell:
In [1]: print 'Hello\rWorld'
World

In an ipython notebook:
In [1]: print 'Hello\rWorld'
Hello
World

Is this is a bug in the ipython notebook or behavior as expected?

The background to this question is that I'm trying to get
http://code.google.com/p/python-progressbar/ this progressbar code  to work
properly in an ipython notebook. Currently the progressbar is not displayed
properly, because (I suspect) the '\r' character isn't being honored.