[IPython-User] Launching notebooks, working directories, etc

Thomas Kluyver takowl@gmail....
Tue Apr 10 10:47:56 CDT 2012

On 10 April 2012 16:27, Chris Laumann <claumann@physics.harvard.edu> wrote:
> I've just hacked together a script for *nix/mac (attached) which, when passed a .ipynb file as an argument, changes into the directory for the .ipynb file, checks for a running ipython notebook server and either launches a new one or simply opens a webbrowser to point at the existing one. This works by logging the stderr of the ipython notebooks to a file in that working directory which can then be searched for appropriate http addresses.

Thanks, that's definitely handy to have around.

> What is the roadmap for directory/file system/notebook server management as IPython develops? Most applications can handle directories and know how to 'quit' from within the UI. Is that in the plans or something more dramatic? I assume my hacked up approach will only be necessary in the near future...

There's a bit of a conflict between the notebook as something you run
locally, and as something running on a server for many users (who
shouldn't all be able to shut the server down). We'll work out some
way to support both, but it hasn't quite been designed/implemented
yet. I did a branch with a shutdown button on the dashboard, but it
will be a bit out of date by now.

Thomas