[IPython-User] Python code in a markdown cell

Michael Hadmack hadmack@gmail....
Fri Apr 13 13:56:31 CDT 2012

This makes sense.  Since the Markdown is rendered on demand by the browser
it needs to be regenerated when a file is loaded, but since the python code
will not be executed there will likely be errors accessing the non-existent
python objects.  So the only way to put python results into Markdown text
is to copy and paste unless there were a feature to perform a one time
evaluation of a python statement in Markdown and replace with a static
result.  This kind of feature would certainly cause more problems than its
worth.

Is there a concise way to have IPython display the result of an assignment
automatically.  For example if in a code cell I had:

x = 10
y = 5
z = x + y
print z
z  # alternatively

Is there any way to do this on a single line?

print z = x + y does not work but does IPython have anything magic for this
kind of thing?

Thanks.

-Mike