[IPython-User] want to install w/o easy_install -- Help!

Cable, Sam B Civ USAF AFMC AFRL/RVBXI Sam.Cable@kirtland.af....
Thu Apr 19 15:23:59 CDT 2012

Rather new to python here, and completely new to IPython, so your
patience is appreciated.

I want to install IPython on a Linux system, but don't have
easy_install.  Installing setuptools has proven to be difficult for a
number of reasons I won't go into.  So I want to install IPython from
source instead.  I follow the instructions on the web page and I get the
error:

Traceback (most recent call last):

  File "setup.py", line 7, in <module>

   from setup3 import main

  File "/home/blah/python3.2.2/ipython-0.12/setup3.py", line 3, in
<module>

    from setuptools import setup

ImportError: No module named setuptools

So, even when I follow the directions for set up without setuptools, I
need setuptools!  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks.