[IPython-User] Updating inline graphs in Notebook

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Mon Apr 23 01:27:40 CDT 2012

Hi Benjamin,

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 11:19 AM, Benjamin Scherrey
<scherrey@proteus-tech.com> wrote:
>     I have in mind a concept of a notebook with an initial data
> initialization cell (to establish data in the namespace), a second cell that
> defines a function(s) and declaration for a graph, and one or more follow up
> cells that manipulate the data causing the inline graph declared in the 2nd
> cell to be updated accordingly. I've not been able to figure out a clean way
> to do this. It seems just calling display() on a graph instance doesn't
> necessarily update it. I hope it's not just my environment. Even the
> matplotlib animation demo isn't working in the qtconsole so it may not be
> just a notebook issue.I'm running Ubuntu 11.04 and latest iPython/notebook
> stable releases under Python 2.7.
>
>    Appreciate any pointers/suggestions,

There is currently no clean way for one cell to update the output of
*another* cell.  In the animations&progress example notebook in the
docs, you can see how to update a cell *in place*.  We are working on
a refactoring of the JS code that would open the door for what you are
asking, but there's still a way to go.