[IPython-User] "OperationalError" when launching ipython on Ubuntu precise

Nat Wilson njwilson23@gmail....
Fri Apr 27 14:18:21 CDT 2012

I've run into a problem installing IPython on a fresh Ubuntu 12.04
installation.
I first tried installing 0.13dev from Github, but when that didn't work, I
tried 0.12.1 from the repositories. In both cases, when I type

 >> ipython

at the terminal, I get the following traceback:

[TerminalIPythonApp] Could not set pid dir permissions to private.
[TerminalIPythonApp] Could not set pid dir permissions to private.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/bin/ipython", line 7, in <module>
    launch_new_instance()
  File
"/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/IPython/frontend/terminal/ipapp.py",
line 408, in launch_new_instance
    app.initialize()
  File "<string>", line 2, in initialize
  File
"/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/IPython/config/application.py",
line 84, in catch_config_error
    return method(app, *args, **kwargs)
  File
"/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/IPython/frontend/terminal/ipapp.py",
line 318, in initialize
    self.init_shell()
  File
"/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/IPython/frontend/terminal/ipapp.py",
line 338, in init_shell
    ipython_dir=self.ipython_dir)
  File
"/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/IPython/config/configurable.py",
line 318, in instance
    inst = cls(*args, **kwargs)
  File
"/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/IPython/frontend/terminal/interactiveshell.py",
line 183, in __init__
    user_module=user_module, custom_exceptions=custom_exceptions
  File
"/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/IPython/core/interactiveshell.py",
line 434, in __init__
    self.init_history()
  File
"/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/IPython/core/interactiveshell.py",
line 1475, in init_history
    self.history_manager = HistoryManager(shell=self, config=self.config)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/IPython/core/history.py",
line 409, in __init__
    self.new_session()
  File "<string>", line 2, in new_session
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/IPython/core/history.py",
line 63, in needs_sqlite
    return f(*a,**kw)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/IPython/core/history.py",
line 427, in new_session
    NULL, "") """, (datetime.datetime.now(),))
OperationalError: attempt to write a readonly database

If you suspect this is an IPython bug, please report it at:
    https://github.com/ipython/ipython/issues

You can print a more detailed traceback right now with "%tb", or use
"%debug"
to interactively debug it.

Extra-detailed tracebacks for bug-reporting purposes can be enabled via:
    c.Application.verbose_crash=True

I did a post-mortem debug, but the best I can figure out is that there's
something wrong with permissions, such that when conn.execute(...) is
called it's denied. Running IPython as

>> sudo ipython

works, but this probably isn't a very good thing to make a habit, and
causes slightly strange behaviour when using the qtconsole. No similar
problems on a lab workstation that is also running Ubuntu 12.04, but was
upgraded from a previous version rather than installed from scratch.

Anyone else seeing this problem, or have a clue as to what's going on? I'm
hesitant to file a bug report if this isn't happening to anyone else.

Nat Wilson