[IPython-User] websocket problem in remote html notebook with Mac OS X Safari

MinRK benjaminrk@gmail....
Sat Apr 28 13:40:00 CDT 2012

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 06:35, Andrew Jaffe <a.h.jaffe@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> On 11/01/2012 17:15, Brian Granger wrote:
> > On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 7:53 AM, Aaron Meurer<asmeurer@gmail.com>
>  wrote:

> when I try

> far,

> >> On a related note, a mobile version of the notebook would be awesome.
> >> RIght now, it would be very annoying to use (if it even works at all;
> >> I haven't tried it), because, for example, Shift-Enter is impossible
> >> to type on a mobile device.
> >
> > Yes, definitely, we plan on doing that based on jqeury mobile:
> >
> > http://jquerymobile.com/
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Brian
>
> I am wondering if there is any prognosis for fixing this issue -- at
> least the websocket one, if not the more general mobile interface (some
> of the changes for 0.12.1 seemed to imply it had been fixed, but wss
> connections to Safari still fail).

As far I understand, this is a "Feature, not a Bug" for Safari, and not
something
we can fix.

Safari refuses to allow wss connections with untrusted certificates, even
if you click the
'trust' button at the initial warning on the https request.  What you have
to do is make sure you computer
is set up to always trust your self-signed certificate (by adding it to
your keychain, and
ensuring that it has the right CN entries).  Note that browsers tend to
refuse to trust
certificates for localhost, which is not a verifiable location.

Safari wss connections do work just fine, but you must use a trusted
certificate.

-MinRK