[IPython-User] Fwd: adding control to notebook

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Sun Apr 29 18:46:33 CDT 2012

On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 12:15 AM, Zoltán Vörös <zvoros@gmail.com> wrote:
> There is already a backend, http://code.google.com/p/mplh5canvas/ . I have
> tried some of their examples, and they worked fine. Now, could we make
> ipython aware of the html5 backend, get the code, and insert it in place?
> That would just be awesome!

We've looked quite a bit at that, including with John Hunter and
Michael Droetboom (core mpl developers), and it doesn't look like it's
usable as-is.  The main reason is that was designed as a standalone
web application, with its own webserver and all.  This means it fits
into our architecture about as well as a second head attached to an
elbow.

This is not to say that *ideas* from mplh5 won't be useful, but from
what we saw, it's not a quick reuse, unfortunately.