[IPython-User] Novice notebook questions

Paul Ivanov pivanov314@gmail....
Mon Apr 30 19:52:45 CDT 2012

Reviving an old thread with an update:

Mike Witt, on 2012-02-28 08:55,  wrote:
> On 02/28/2012 05:23:08 AM, Angus McMorland wrote:
> > On 28 February 2012 02:51, Fernando Perez <fperez.net@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> > just
> > >
> > > The middle-button paste event isn't correctly handled by codemirror,
> > > so you must use the actual clipboard (Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V) instead, and
> > not
> > > the X11 selection.
> >
> > I've found I can get usually get middle-click pasting to work if I
> > first left-click in the output section of another cell (which changes
> > the focus in some mysterious but beneficial way), and then
> > middle-click in the cell I want to paste into.
>
> Hmm... Doesn't appear to work here. I suppose this could be browser
> dependent too(?) But I suppose this isn't really very critical. I was
> just surprised, and figured that I just didn't understand how to do it.

I finally got mad enough at the lack of this functionality to
look into it,  and have found a partial solution for Chrome: when
middle clicking, do it into the column to the left of the
textinput (it's easier to just enable line numbers with "ctrl-m
l" and then middle click on one of the line numbers.

I've filed this CodeMirror limitation into their bugs [1], and
there's a bug filed against IPython for this functionality [2]
(which may get closed, if it's purely a CM and not a usage of CM
bug).

Again, this is for Chrome only, and as Fernando mentioned in [2]
(with a pointer to the CM mailing list), this is a known
limitation for Firefox and there does not appear to be a
workaround to get it working there, currently.

1. https://github.com/marijnh/CodeMirror2/issues/519
2. https://github.com/ipython/ipython/issues/1677

best,
--
Paul Ivanov
314 address only used for lists,  off-list direct email at: