[IPython-User] OSX Mountain Lion emergence and its effect on IPython?

Comer Duncan comer.duncan@gmail....
Wed Aug 1 13:13:08 CDT 2012

Hi Min,

I have installed Mountain Lion, have done git pull from ipython dir, have
done sudo python setup.py install from (git pulled) ipython dir.  Then I
tried, from home dir, running ipython in terminal and get:

homelap-3:~ comerduncan$ ipython
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/bin/ipython", line 5, in <module>
    from IPython.frontend.terminal.ipapp import launch_new_instance
ImportError: No module named IPython.frontend.terminal.ipapp

So, I then go to the ipython dir and try running ipython

homelap-3:~ comerduncan$ cd ipython
homelap-3:ipython comerduncan$ python ipython.py
Python 2.7.3 (default, Apr 18 2012, 10:21:09)

IPython 0.14.dev -- An enhanced Interactive Python.
?         -> Introduction and overview of IPython's features.
%quickref -> Quick reference.
help      -> Python's own help system.
object?   -> Details about 'object', use 'object??' for extra details.

In [1]:

Thus it officially runs in this way.

What do I need to do to get a terminal-working ipython working. I have not
yet used any quartz related terminals.  You mentioned earlier that you did
a compete fresh install of a bunch of stuff.  Note that I separatey have a
sympy dir and often do a git pull of that and have done a git pull
yesterday.  There is a pyston.py of Fernando origin I guess which would
seem to do the bulk fresh install of the things on your list.  Do you
recommend using that for this purpose?  Other ways?  Did matplotlib need
further hand-holding to get in?

So many questions.  I am picky I guess but do not want to get immersed in
multiple builds and potentially drown in the sea of dependencies (maybe you
are a much better swimmer!).

Thanks for advice!!

Comer