[IPython-User] OSX Mountain Lion emergence and its effect on IPython?

MinRK benjaminrk@gmail....
Wed Aug 1 14:34:07 CDT 2012

On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 11:13 AM, Comer Duncan <comer.duncan@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi Min,
>
> I have installed Mountain Lion, have done git pull from ipython dir, have
> done sudo python setup.py install from (git pulled) ipython dir.  Then I
> tried, from home dir, running ipython in terminal and get:
>
> homelap-3:~ comerduncan$ ipython
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/local/bin/ipython", line 5, in <module>
>     from IPython.frontend.terminal.ipapp import launch_new_instance
> ImportError: No module named IPython.frontend.terminal.ipapp
>
> So, I then go to the ipython dir and try running ipython
>
> homelap-3:~ comerduncan$ cd ipython
> homelap-3:ipython comerduncan$ python ipython.py
> Python 2.7.3 (default, Apr 18 2012, 10:21:09)
>
> IPython 0.14.dev -- An enhanced Interactive Python.
> ?         -> Introduction and overview of IPython's features.
> %quickref -> Quick reference.
> help      -> Python's own help system.
> object?   -> Details about 'object', use 'object??' for extra details.
>
> In [1]:
>
> Thus it officially runs in this way.
>
> What do I need to do to get a terminal-working ipython working.

Install it:

$> python setup.py install
or link it:
$. python setupegg.py develop

>  I have not yet used any quartz related terminals.  You mentioned earlier
> that you did a compete fresh install of a bunch of stuff.  Note that I
> separatey have a sympy dir and often do a git pull of that and have done a
> git pull yesterday.  There is a pyston.py of Fernando origin I guess which
> would seem to do the bulk fresh install of the things on your list.  Do you
> recommend using that for this purpose?  Other ways?

I think pyston is clean and great, but I don't use it.  Here's my habit:

# cleanup occasionally, when there are major changes (such as updating your
OS or compiler), or when things are acting weird:
$> python setup.py clean
     # the following two are because setup.py clean cannot always be
trusted:
$> find ./ -name *.so -exec rm {} \;
$> rm -rf build

# this is the only step I repeat on a regular basis:
$> git pull # update
$> python setup.py build_ext --inplace # build inplace

# do this only once:
$> python setupegg.py develop --user # I do --user, but you can install
wherever you want

And I have bash aliases to do all of the above things more efficiently.

> Did matplotlib need further hand-holding to get in?

I installed xquartz to get freetype; I imagine you could do `make -f
make.osx fetch deps` to get freetype, but I didn't.  I think the above
steps worked just fine after that (I would need a fresh 10.8 VM to be
perfectly sure).