[IPython-User] Swap enter and shift-enter in notebook?

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Thu Aug 2 01:33:57 CDT 2012

On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 6:51 PM, Michael McNeil Forbes
<michael.forbes+ipython@gmail.com> wrote:
> How would I go about swapping the behaviour of "enter" and "shift-
> enter" in ipython notebook?  I find that my fingers are conditioned to
> expecting "enter" to execute.  (In Maple, for example, the behaviours
> are exactly opposite: shift-enter inserts lines and enter executes.)
>
> Can I customize this with a local style-sheet?  (I imagine it could be
> done on the server, but it is probably best to keep the server
> configuration standard so that colleagues can use the standard
> documentation etc.)

There's no easy way to configure those keybindings, they are currently
hardcoded in the Javascript used by the server.  You could obviously
locally patch your JS, but it will affect all users of the same
server.

Sorry, we went here with the Mathematica convention instead of the Maple one :)