[IPython-User] Swap enter and shift-enter in notebook?

Aaron Meurer asmeurer@gmail....
Thu Aug 2 21:26:27 CDT 2012

On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 6:38 PM, Michael McNeil Forbes
<michael.forbes+ipython@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2 Aug 2012, Thomas Kluyver and MinRK wrote:
>>> The difference between the notebook and these other examples is
>>> that they
>>> are really single-line inputs that *allow* you to do multiline when
>>> you need
>>> it. Adding newlines in these environments is rare relative to the
>>> number of
>>> single-line inputs you submit.
>> I've used neither Mathematica nor Maple, and I found the shift-enter
>> to execute model quite easy to pick up quickly. Editing within each
>> cell is much like writing code in a regular text editor.
>
> It is all a matter of perspective.  I am *constantly* executing code
> by mistake
> with shift-enter!  I agree with all the arguments for the current
> default, but
> I am finding it extremely hard to swap these in my muscle memory (and
> am not
> sure I want to since I use Maple a lot too, but hope to replace it
> with SymPy
> at some point:-).
>
> I am using notebook as a terminal replacement... I usually type a
> single line,
> then want to execute it to see the result, then I edit it later adding
> more
> lines, followed by another execute.  So I have pretty much an equal
> number
> of enters and shift-enters.
>
> Michael.

If you want a terminal replacement, I think the qtconsole is a better
fit.  The notebook is designed as a document system.  When you close
the page, it will ask you if you want to save everything.  You can
reorder executions. You can add header cells.  The qtconsole on the
other hand is more like a terminal system, except with added benefits
that you can't get in a real terminal.  I guess the only advantage of
the notebook is MathJax.

By the way, for what it's worth, I completely agree with you about
shift-enter vs. enter.  I'm looking forward to the day when I can add
just a single line to a config file and swap them forever.

Aaron Meurer