[IPython-User] Swap enter and shift-enter in notebook?

Brian Granger ellisonbg@gmail....
Sun Aug 5 18:19:38 CDT 2012

On Sun, Aug 5, 2012 at 4:03 PM, Michael McNeil Forbes
<michael.forbes+ipython@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2 Aug 2012, at 5:23 PM, Michael McNeil Forbes wrote:
> <some code and instructions to swap enter and shift-enter (included
> below)>
>
> Hi everyone. Please don't take my "solution" seriously.  I Tricked
> myself
> into thinking it worked, but it has some problems:
>
> 1) You need to modify files in your ~/.ipython directory on the server
> machine.
>     (You do not need to modify the server, but I don't yet see how to
> inject js
>      code from the client... but I virtually no js experience so maybe
> there is a
>      way).
> 2) My solution of negating the shift flag is not a complete solution:
> in particular
>     after swapping, pressing "enter" will indeed execute the block,
> but it will also
>     insert a newline (I don't know how to suppress that yet).

This is a perfect example of the fragility that I mentioned.  The
short answer is that the enter event is handled in multiple places and
you will have to track all of those down and deal with their
interactions.

> I probably need to do the swap earlier (in cellmirror maybe?) but in
> any case, this
> needs more work... Suggestions welcome:-)  I will drop a note if I
> make progress
> and/or a Pull Request when I get a chance to delve deep into javascript
> (won't happen in the near future though).

You will definitely have to modify the code mirror event handling as well.

> Thanks for the suggestions.  With some tweaks, I think notebook will
> be a
> killer addition to the python arsenal. (I have yet to play with the
> parallel
> features but am very excited.)
>
> Michael.

>>> This seems to work fine:
>>> 1) Install IPython 0.14-dev from github on server.
>>> 2) Copy notebook.js and codecell.js to ~/.ipython/profile/
>>> profile_xxx/
>>> static/js/ from
>>>   https://raw.github.com/ipython/ipython/master/IPython/
>>>   Note: this profile name must match the name of the profile on the
>>> server. This is a
>>>   little strange in terms of UI since the name of this profile is
>>> not even visible
>>
>> usually you start your notebook with --profile=whatever
>> if you don't say anything it will use…default
>>

>>>   from the web interface, but probably makes sense from a dev.
>>> perspective to localize
>>>   the effects.
>>> 3) Swap the shift-flag near as follows
>>>
>>>        if (event.which == key.ENTER) {
>>>            // MMF Customization: swap enter and shift-enter
>>>            event.shiftKey = !event.shiftKey;
>>>        }
>>>
>>>    Do this near the start of the following function in codecell.js
>>>
>>>       CodeCell.prototype.handle_codemirror_keyevent = function
>>> (editor, event) {
>>>
>>>    and near the start of the following block in notebook.js
>>>
>>>       $(document).keydown(function (event) {
>>>
>>> While I am at it I might add a sequence for joining two adjacent
>>> blocks.  Is there
>>> a function that will do this simply?
>>
>> IPython.notebook.merge_cell_above();
>> IPython.notebook.merge_cell_below();
>>
>> is IMHO what you want.
> Thanks.  Will try.
>
>> if you ever want to refactor the javascript and
>> make something that allows to easily configure the keybindings (dict
>> of {key:function}) for example
>> we love Pull requests.
>
> This will require some javascript retooling on my part, so won't
> happen in the near future, but when
> I have some time, I will attempt this.  I love github's code review
> feature for PR's which is a
> strong motivation to contribute:-)

Brian E. Granger