[IPython-User] Advice on using a prefilter

Aaron Meurer asmeurer@gmail....
Tue Aug 7 17:53:41 CDT 2012

OK, in case anyone is interested, here's what I ended up doing:
https://github.com/sympy/sympy/pull/1470.  You can test it by checking
out that branch and running ./bin/isympy -i.

I ended up just monkey-patching run_cell, and checking the syntax
first before changing the input, so that SyntaxErrors will look OK to
the user.

We also have a bit of code there that automatically creates symbols
from undefined names.  This currently uses an exception handler with
NameError, but I would love to use tokenize and a preparser with that
as well, as that would remove some subtle issues associated with the
current method.  But I think I'll wait on the new API for that
(getting it wrong in this case can lead to far worse consequences, as
any "undefined name" would be converted).

Aaron Meurer

>>> Thomas