[IPython-User] update just ipython within an enthought python distribution on mac

Patrick Marsh patrickmarshwx@gmail....
Tue Aug 7 21:27:07 CDT 2012

If you are using EPD, then the easiest way to update IPython is to just install it with the --user flag.

python setup.py install --user

This will install the updated IPython library in a separate location (exactly where is OS dependent) that is checked before the standard locations. Thus, the updated IPython library is found first, and used.  When I used the EPD installation, I did this without problem for a year or so…and the best part is, should you ever have a problem you can blow alway the location that --user installs to and revert back to the EPD version.

I should also point out that before I started doing things this way, I used to just install updated IPython into the standard way, overwriting the EPD IPython and never had any problems.

Patrick

---
Patrick Marsh
Ph.D. Candidate / Liaison to the HWT
School of Meteorology / University of Oklahoma
Cooperative Institute for Mesoscale Meteorological Studies
National Severe Storms Laboratory
http://www.patricktmarsh.com