[IPython-User] Can't get ipcluster to run on LAN

Johann Rohwer jr@sun.ac...
Wed Aug 8 02:42:35 CDT 2012

On Tuesday 07 August 2012 16:03:52 MinRK wrote:

> Try removing the old connection files (in `ipython locate profile
> home_ssh`/security).
>
> There might be an issue when reuse_files=True, that sometimes the
> old
> connection files can set the config, so if you ran once with
> ip=127.0.0.1, then set reuse_files=True, it's possible that
> 127.0.0.1 is still being used.
>
> Can you verify the contents of the JSON files?

Initially I did not use reuse_files, and indeed I did verify that the
JSON files were indeed deleted and re-created every time when starting
ipcluster.  So this was not the issue.

How does IPcluster obtain the hostname/IP address of the controller if
not specified? Because this is a local lan, the assigned IP's from the
DHCP server are in the 192.168.0.* subnet and there is of course no
DNS/FQDN. My problem was that the specifications in the config files
seemed to be "ignored"/overridden by the internal ipcluster methods to
assign the hostname/IP. Does it look at /etc/hosts? This has of course
the specification of 127.0.0.1 for localhost.

--Johann
E-pos vrywaringsklousule

Hierdie e-pos mag vertroulike inligting bevat en mag regtens geprivilegeerd wees en is slegs bedoel vir die persoon aan wie dit geadresseer is. Indien u nie die bedoelde ontvanger is nie, word u hiermee in kennis gestel dat u hierdie dokument geensins mag gebruik, versprei of kopieer nie. Stel ook asseblief die sender onmiddellik per telefoon in kennis en vee die e-pos uit. Die Universiteit aanvaar nie aanspreeklikheid vir enige skade, verlies of uitgawe wat voortspruit uit hierdie e-pos en/of die oopmaak van enige lês aangeheg by hierdie e-pos nie.

E-mail disclaimer

This e-mail may contain confidential information and may be legally privileged and is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that you may not use, distribute or copy this document in any manner whatsoever. Kindly also notify the sender immediately by telephone, and delete the e-mail. The University does not accept liability for any damage, loss or expense arising from this e-mail and/or accessing any files attached to this e-mail.