[IPython-User] Can't get ipcluster to run on LAN

Johann Rohwer jr@sun.ac...
Wed Aug 8 09:01:19 CDT 2012

On Wednesday 08 August 2012 09:46:46 Cavendish McKay wrote:
>>> snip <<<
>
> So, summing up:
>
> 1. There is a note in ipcluster_config.py that both
> SSHEngineLauncher and SSHControllerLauncher inherit config from
> SSHClusterLauncher and SSHLauncher.
>
> 2. SSHClusterLauncher adds ['--profile-dir',
> self.remote_profile_dir] to the arguments.
>
> 3. It seems that if profile_dir isn't specified in
> ipcluster_config.py, it doesn't get generated properly (hence the
> error message upon starting ipcontroller, above), and
>
> 4. The way the command is being put together, these args don't seem
> to be getting to ipengine via ssh (hence the error message related
> to starting ipengine, above). This error message is coming from
> bash, rather than from ipengine, and it looks to me like
> SSHEngineLauncher isn't actually using the ipengine script, so
> maybe the command line arguments aren't appropriate here anyway.
>
> I'm not (yet) well enough versed in the internals to figure out the
> right way to fix this, or even if it's just a configuration error on
> my part.  Also, this may not be the problem you're having, but it
> seemed similar enough that I would chime in.

You beat me to it, see the reply I have just posted to the list,
indeed I've come to the conclusion that there is a problem with
--profile_dir and the way remote_profile_dir gets constructed. As you
say it has to do with the way ipcluster constructs these arguments,
because if you run ipcontroller and ipengine separately, and put the
json files in the right place, all's well. But that's a PITA...

--Johann
E-pos vrywaringsklousule

Hierdie e-pos mag vertroulike inligting bevat en mag regtens geprivilegeerd wees en is slegs bedoel vir die persoon aan wie dit geadresseer is. Indien u nie die bedoelde ontvanger is nie, word u hiermee in kennis gestel dat u hierdie dokument geensins mag gebruik, versprei of kopieer nie. Stel ook asseblief die sender onmiddellik per telefoon in kennis en vee die e-pos uit. Die Universiteit aanvaar nie aanspreeklikheid vir enige skade, verlies of uitgawe wat voortspruit uit hierdie e-pos en/of die oopmaak van enige lês aangeheg by hierdie e-pos nie.

E-mail disclaimer

This e-mail may contain confidential information and may be legally privileged and is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that you may not use, distribute or copy this document in any manner whatsoever. Kindly also notify the sender immediately by telephone, and delete the e-mail. The University does not accept liability for any damage, loss or expense arising from this e-mail and/or accessing any files attached to this e-mail.