[IPython-User] Pylab inline in windows virtualenv

MinRK benjaminrk@gmail....
Wed Aug 8 14:24:39 CDT 2012

Your mistake is that you arre using pip on Windows.  Use `easy_install
pyzmq` instead, and it should happily drop the pyzmq egg into your venv.

On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 9:58 AM, Adam Davis <addavis@fosterandpartners.com>wrote:

> **
> I am trying to wind my way back to why I chose to install IPython in the
> system's site-packages and it comes down to pyzmq. The binary installer for
> pyzmq works fine if I want to put pyzmq in site-packages of the interpreter
> in the registry

easy_install pyzmq will use the binary egg, and should work just fine in
the env.  pip deliberately (and to the detriment of many users) ignores
eggs.  For this reason, I would not recommend pip for extension modules to
any Windows user.

> . I was glad to see recent news of pyzmq-static and its inclusion in the
> pyzmq core here:
>
> http://lists.ipython.scipy.org/pipermail/ipython-user/2012-July/010697.html
>
> ... as I thought that might get me further toward being able to have an
> IPython environment with zmq, installed in an isolated venv via pip.
> However, I've just tried both the recommendation at the url above, which
> fails when trying to build:
>
> c1 : fatal error C1083: Cannot open source file: 'zmq\core\_poll.c': No
> such file or directory

Building pyzmq from git requires Cython, do you have that installed?  The
Cython-generated .c sources are only in packaged releases.

> I can do:
>
>     pip install pyzmq-static
>
> ... and it will complete succesfully, but trying to run:
>
>     ipython notebook
>
> ... I get the error:
>
>   File "...\lib\site-packages\zmq\eventloop\ioloop.py", line 48, in
> <module>
>     from zmq.eventloop import stack_context
> ImportError: cannot import name stack_context

This is likely pyzmq-static not having pulled properly from upstream pyzmq,
and not a pyzmq issue.

> I have a feeling that either of both of these issues may be more
> appropriate to report on the pyzmq mailing list and/or Issues tracker on
> github. If you can advise how best to flag these up, I will try to do so
> accordingly.

If anything should be reported to pyzmq, it's that the error message when
you try to build from git without Cython should be clearer.