[IPython-User] update just ipython within an enthought python distribution on mac

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Wed Aug 8 15:09:58 CDT 2012

On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 5:17 PM, Jonathan March <jmarch@enthought.com> wrote:
> This update restriction in EPD Free was true in the past, but for SciPy 2012
> (and still continuing), we made ipython updates available to all EPD users,
> free or not, via the commands I mentioned earlier today. This update
> capability in EPD Free only applies to ipython, not for pandas or the other
> 100 or so packages in EPD Basic.

Many thanks for that.  I've been bumping into random posts on the
internet about how 'installing ipython is impossible for normal human
beings', and I really think we should present much more prominently
EPD, PythonXY and Chris Gohlke's superpack in our documentation.
While it's great for more advanced users to have the manual steps to
do a complete installation by hand, in reality these days I always
tell anyone who asks me to use one of the above tools.  So it's kind
of odd that our written instructions really only describe the more
manual ways that for many people prove to be difficult, especially
beginners for whom the single-click convenience of EPD or PythonXY is
really key.