[IPython-User] raw_input replacement in ipython Notebook

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Wed Aug 8 20:22:31 CDT 2012

On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 6:09 PM, Brian Blais <bblais@gmail.com> wrote:
> this seems to work, and may suit my needs for now...
>
> import tkSimpleDialog
> val=tkSimpleDialog.askstring('Input', "hello there")

With a couple of notes:

- unless you've already initialized the tk root window, you'll want to
run "%gui tk" first to take care of that.

- this assumes that you're OK with local windows and don't intend this
to work with a remote notebook server.  Because in that case, it would
attempt to open the window on the server.

The latter is why we've suggested a javascript solution, which would
always happen in the browser, regardless of whether you're running
locally or remotely.