[IPython-User] Pylab inline in windows virtualenv

Adam Davis addavis@fosterandpartners....
Thu Aug 9 04:48:53 CDT 2012

________________________________

From: ipython-user-bounces@scipy.org
[mailto:ipython-user-bounces@scipy.org] On Behalf Of MinRK
Sent: 08 August 2012 20:25
To: Discussions about using IPython. http://ipython.org
Subject: Re: [IPython-User] Pylab inline in windows virtualenv

> Your mistake is that you arre using pip on Windows.  Use `easy_install
pyzmq` instead, and it should happily drop the pyzmq egg into your venv.

I realize I am swimming against the current trying to use pip on
Windows. The ability to share/deploy virtual environments via pip freeze
and pip install -r, as well as the ability to install packages from VCSs
are useful and I am trying to take advantage of these capabilities where
possible. This may not be one of those cases... Please see note about
Cython below.

On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 9:58 AM, Adam Davis
<addavis@fosterandpartners.com> wrote:

>>		I am trying to wind my way back to why I chose to
install IPython in the system's site-packages and it comes down to
pyzmq. The binary installer for pyzmq works fine if I want to put pyzmq
in site-packages of the interpreter in the registry

>easy_install pyzmq will use the binary egg, and should work just fine
in the env.  pip deliberately (and to the detriment of many users)
ignores eggs.  For this reason, I would not recommend pip for extension
modules to any Windows user.

>>	. I was glad to see recent news of pyzmq-static and its
inclusion in the pyzmq core here:

http://lists.ipython.scipy.org/pipermail/ipython-user/2012-July/010697.h
tml
>>		... as I thought that might get me further toward being
able to have an IPython environment with zmq, installed in an isolated
venv via pip. However, I've just tried both the recommendation at the
url above, which fails when trying to build:
>>		c1 : fatal error C1083: Cannot open source file:
'zmq\core\_poll.c': No such file or directory

> Building pyzmq from git requires Cython, do you have that installed?
The Cython-generated .c sources are only in packaged releases.

I installed cython, also via pip. The requisite extensions for cython
were built with VS 2008 and the tests all pass.

When I invoke pip install against the master zipball (as described in
the link above), Visual Studio seems to build the bundled zmq without
error and then fails as soon as it tries to compile zmq core. Cython
generated .c files are absent from the zmq directories (eg zmq/core). At
what point in the setup process should cython be invoked to generate
these files?

>>		I can do:
>>		    pip install pyzmq-static
>>		... and it will complete succesfully, but trying to run:
>>	    ipython notebook
>>		... I get the error:

>>	  File "...\lib\site-packages\zmq\eventloop\ioloop.py", line 48,
in <module>
>>	    from zmq.eventloop import stack_context
>>	ImportError: cannot import name stack_context

> This is likely pyzmq-static not having pulled properly from upstream
pyzmq, and not a pyzmq issue.

>>		I have a feeling that either of both of these issues may
be more appropriate to report on the pyzmq mailing list and/or Issues
tracker on github. If you can advise how best to flag these up, I will
try to do so accordingly.

> If anything should be reported to pyzmq, it's that the error message
when you try to build from git without Cython should be clearer.

	Thanks,
		Adam