[IPython-User] Hook to add alternative notebook manager

Benjie Chen benjie@ginkgobioworks....
Thu Aug 9 12:43:37 CDT 2012

Follow up on this. I was able to just use Brian's branch, pull request
2045, and not have to create separate mechanisms to introduce
alternative notebook managers. I've updated the Django notebook
manager to have a reasonable UI (to start). Instructions are at

https://github.com/benjiec/django-ipy-nbmgr

The UI currently allows listing, creating new notebooks, see deleted
notebooks, see archived revisions of notebooks, search by name. We
will add tagging later on.

One major piece that still needs to go into the UI is talking with the
iPython server and manage kernels, so we don't leave too many kernels
open and wasting memory. My plan is to just get list of open kernels
from iPython server, show which notebook has open kernel, and perhaps
give user warning about too many kernels open.

Thanks,

Benjie