[IPython-User] ipython notebook not displaying output cells

Phil Austin paustin@eos.ubc...
Wed Aug 15 19:31:36 CDT 2012

On 12-08-15 05:17 PM, MinRK [via Python] wrote:
> *each* Kernel requires four ports which are randomly selected - so
> that's four ports per notebook that you need to have available.
> You can certainly subclass the KernelManager such that it will change
> the random port selection to selecting from a predetermined list, but
> you will need to make *a lot* of loopback ports available.  Now, you can
> avoid this issue by using IPC transports instead of TCP, but of course
> ØMQ does not support IPC transports on Windows.
>
> So I think the answer is probably going to end up being:  The IPython
> Notebook is not compatible with this kind of environment, unless there
> are Windows wizards who can figure it out.

In our case, the lab is behind an external firewall, so we have no
problem permitting as large a port range as necessary on the
lab server. It's just a question (for me) of
how to tell Active Directory to do that.  -- Phil