[IPython-User] ipython notebook not displaying output cells

MinRK benjaminrk@gmail....
Wed Aug 15 19:43:06 CDT 2012

On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 5:36 PM, Thomas Kluyver <takowl@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 16 August 2012 01:32, Darren Govoni <darren@ontrenet.com> wrote:
> > Is it because the websockets that use the random ports? I presume there
> is
> > no kind of "proxy" or tunneling for websockets
> > to deal with secure environments?
>
> As I understand it, websockets themselves go over port 80. But then
> the notebook server forwards the data to the kernel over a ZMQ socket,
> which is using the arbitrary ports.

Yes, it's not the websockets - it's the notebook server talking to the
kernels over ØMQ, where the code is actually running.
On Windows, you simply need to be able to open numerous loopback ports for
this to work.  There is no alternative.  There *is* an alternative on
platforms other than Windows (IPC).

-MinRK