[IPython-User] What's the best way to get data into a notebook?

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Thu Aug 16 00:07:57 CDT 2012

On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 6:37 PM, Benjie Chen <benjie@ginkgobioworks.com> wrote:
> I have some code in the notebook that needs to run on an input.
> Currently I have to give people access to some shared drive where they
> can put data into a file, then load it via the notebook. Is there a
> better way to paste data into the notebook as input to some code?

I think it's important to clarify how to best think of this question:
the notebook's kernel simply sees the filesystem of the machine it's
running on, nothing more, nothing less.  The notebook has no special
'data store'.  So your question really is: how do I put files on that
filesystem?  The answer is: IPython doesn't provide any special
mechanisms to do so, we assume that  you can scp/ftp/copy files into
that machine for now.  This is, however, something where IPython
*could* offer its own upload mechanism so that users don't need to
know exactly how to get filesystem-level access into the machine.  It
just hasn't been done yet.