[IPython-User] Advice on running a server with multiple users

Benjie Chen benjie@ginkgobioworks....
Fri Aug 24 15:23:40 CDT 2012

Matthias,

We may have an active user base here needing multiple user support, so
can you let me know what we can do to help? I'd love to see/test some
early user authentication mechanisms. Also, is there a list of
milestones drawn out on how this would work? Is this the place to
discuss details?

>From what I understand you described, each user will get a separate
git backed directory. The notebooks are checked into one repo. I see
two possible UX, not sure if your ideas map onto either of these. One
UX is user checks out the entire repo, work on user's own notebooks,
and commit and push. Not sure how you resolve conflicts, especially
with the way the notebook is stored as a JSON. The second UX is user
browse master copies from the repo, like browsing on github, and can
view static copies of notebooks. When they want to open one for
editing, they check that one out, work on it, and check that one back
in. Then you can either prevent multiple users from checking out the
same copy, or allow them to do so if there are merge algorithms that
would work for the notebooks. This second one here is more rcs then
git.

Basically, eager to help but not sure how we can.

Thanks,

Benjie