[IPython-User] Changes in how to "instruct your controller to listen on an external IP"?

Jon Olav Vik jonovik@gmail....
Thu Aug 30 08:15:40 CDT 2012

I'm trying to connect an IPython.parallel.Client to an ipcluster running on a
different machine on a shared cluster. For IPython 0.13.beta1, it sufficed to

ipython profile create --parallel
and add the following to ipcluster_config.py:
c.LocalControllerLauncher.controller_args = ["--ip='*'"]

and the following would work:

# On one machine:
ipcluster start
# On another:
python -c "from IPython.parallel import Client; c = Client(); print c.ids"
[0, 1, 2, 3]

However, that does not seem to work with current master (git revision
8756d12f992e478e25d0776c9fc9c4a78f650f16).

$ python -c "from IPython.parallel import Client; c = Client(); print c.ids"
IPython/parallel/client/client.py:444: RuntimeWarning:
   Controller appears to be listening on localhost, but not on this machine.
   If this is true, you should specify Client(...,sshserver='you@10.32.254.130')
   or instruct your controller to listen on an external IP.
   RuntimeWarning)
Traceback (most recent call last):
IPython.parallel.error.TimeoutError: Hub connection request timed out

What else do I need to change in the config files to "instruct my controller to
listen on an external IP"?

If I run
ipcontroller --ip='*'
on one machine, and
ipengine
on the other, the ipengine connects successfully. However, the Client() call is
still not successful.

I notice that ipcontroller-client.json looks different than before. It used to
be:
{
  "url": "tcp://*:36747",
  "exec_key": "...",
  "ssh": "",
  "location": "10.1.255.160"
}

Now it is:
{
  "control": 58523,
  "task": 60458,
  "notification": 33248,
  "exec_key": "...",
  "task_scheme": "leastload",
  "mux": 45626,
  "iopub": 39999,
  "ssh": "",
  "registration": 44388,
  "interface": "tcp://*",
  "pack": "json",
  "unpack": "json",
  "location": "xx.yy.254.130"
}

The corresponding ipcontroller-engine.json is

{
  "control": 49837,
  "task": 43719,
  "hb_ping": 57029,