[IPython-User] Interrupting current calculation in an ipython embedded in a Qt gui app

Antony Lee antony.lee@berkeley....
Tue Dec 4 13:16:25 CST 2012

Actually the trouble with zmq was probably due to some sloppy installation
of python and distribute themselves on windows (not my usual platform); I
fixed that now.

So, I followed the recipe here:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11513132/embedding-ipython-qt-console-in-a-pyqt-application
to embed a qtconsole in my app; however I am still unable to interrupt a
calculation running in ipython.  Now Ctrl-C gives me either no response, or
sometimes the error message "Kernel process is either remote or
unspecified. Cannot interrupt.", but only after execution has finished, and
because this recipe does not put IPython in its own thread (I did try
initializing the kernel with --gui=qt, to no avail), the GUI hangs; and if
I send an interrupt_kernel() to the kernel_manager after while no
computation is running, I get a "RuntiemError: Cannot interrupt kernel. No
kernel is running!".

Thanks in advance for your help,

Antony