[IPython-User] Notebook and Apache

Brian Granger ellisonbg@gmail....
Tue Dec 4 18:50:54 CST 2012

Scott,

The short answer: the notebook uses web sockets which apache doesn't
know how to proxy.  I think that haproxy and nignx might do better,
but I am not sure.  We are working on a branch that would provide an
alternative to web sockets that is more proxy friendly.

Cheers,

Brian

On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 2:18 PM, Burns, Scott S
<scott.s.burns@vanderbilt.edu> wrote:
> I've got apache running on my local machine, mostly serving static files. I
> setup an ipython profile for an outward facing notebook server specifying
> port 80 in the config file. $ sudo ipython notebook --profile=[my profile]
> didn't crash like I thought it would, but the server now lives at 81 because
> it couldn't bind to 80 and just tried for the next open port.
>
> So my colleagues wouldn't have to type a port in the URL, could I:
> - Just make the notebook serve localhost
> - Setup a reverse proxy in apache so https://localhost:8888/ responds to
> https://[hostname]/ipython/ or whatever url I choose
>
> I know most of us aren't sys admins but has anyone else run into something
> like this?
>
> --Scott

Brian E. Granger