[IPython-User] IPython on Windows - error UnicodeDecodeError

Ahlden jonas.ahlden@hotmail....
Sun Dec 9 04:51:14 CST 2012

I'm a beginner and I try to get Ipython and the Notebook up and running on my
Windows 7 computer. I get this message:

/  File "C:\python27\lib\ntpath.py", line 301, in expanduser
    return userhome + path[i:]
UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xe9 in position 1

If you suspect this is an IPython bug, please report it at:
    https://github.com/ipython/ipython/issues

You can print a more detailed traceback right now with "%tb", or use "
to interactively debug it.

Extra-detailed tracebacks for bug-reporting purposes can be enabled vi
    c.Application.verbose_crash=True/

I found this at  http://wiki.ipython.org/IPython_on_Windows
<http://wiki.ipython.org/IPython_on_Windows>   and my username includes
non-ascii characters.

•Recent versions of IPython (as of at least 0.12.1) use %USERPROFILE%
(typically C:\Users\ under Vista and 7, or C:\Documents and Settings\ under
XP) and store your configuration in a %USERPROFILE%.ipython directory.
Previous versions of IPython have required manually setting a %HOME%
environment variable. If you have non-ascii characters in your username and
you get a UnicodeError crash on startup, you may need to manually set %HOME%
to a directory with an ASCII-only name anyway (a directory like C:\home may
be good enough if you're the only user of your computer). This has not been
tested on recent versions of IPython, however.

Can you, please, tell me what to do in detail. If it is the issue above I
know how to change the environment variables but do not know to what (have
done some tests without success). I run Python 2.7 and IPython 0.13.