[IPython-User] IPython on windows and non-ascii in username

Ahlden jonas.ahlden@hotmail....
Sun Dec 9 09:31:11 CST 2012

I try to get iPython and the notebook to work but I get this error message:
/File "C:\Python27\lib\ntpath.py", line 301, in expanduser return userhome +
path[i:]
UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xe9 in position 13:
ordinal not in range(128)
If you suspect this is an IPython bug, please report it at:
https://github.com/ipython/ipython/issues or send an email to the mailing
list at ipython-dev@scipy.org
You can print a more detailed traceback right now with "%tb", or use
"%debug"
to interactively debug it.
Extra-detailed tracebacks for bug-reporting purposes can be enabled via:
    c.Application.verbose_crash=True./
I read this at:  http://http://wiki.ipython.org/IPython_on_Windows
<http://http://wiki.ipython.org/IPython_on_Windows>  :
/Recent versions of IPython (as of at least 0.12.1) use %USERPROFILE%
(typically C:\Users\ under Vista and 7, or C:\Documents and Settings\ under
XP) and store your configuration in a %USERPROFILE%.ipython directory.
Previous versions of IPython have required manually setting a %HOME%
environment variable. If you have non-ascii characters in your username and
you get a UnicodeError crash on startup, you may need to manually set %HOME%
to a directory with an ASCII-only name anyway (a directory like C:\home may
be good enough if you're the only user of your computer). This has not been
tested on recent versions of IPython, however. /
I have a user name with non-ascii characters. It looks like this is the
solution but how do I fix it? I'm new to this and knows where to change the
variables but I do not know what to write. I have created a folder
C:\ipython that I would like to use and I run Windows 7 Home Edition. I use
python 2.7 and IPYthon 0.13.1. Probably easy to fix if you know how...