[IPython-User] Some excellent news for IPython: we've received stable funding from the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation.

Chao YUE chaoyuejoy@gmail....
Tue Dec 11 16:57:21 CST 2012

I am spending 3/4 of my time with ipython now. Many many many many thanks
to the development team and congratulations for the funding. The cool thing
of open source is not only software, it also change people, to have spirit
of sharing, and the joy.

BIG THANKS!

Chao

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 11:52 PM, Burns, Scott S <
scott.s.burns@vanderbilt.edu> wrote:

> That's fantastic news. Hopefully this will spur other funding agencies to
> consider funding the development of software tools.
>
> Scott
>
> On 12/11/12 4:34 PM, "Fernando Perez" <fperez.net@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Hi all,
> >
> >we wanted to give you all some absolutely fantastic news regarding
> >IPython that we just received...  This also partly explains my silence
> >during much of this semester, as I was focused on looking for
> >long-term funding for IPython.
> >
> >We are proud to announce that we've received funding from the Alfred
> >P. Sloan foundation (http://sloan.org) that will support IPython
> >development for the next two years.  Thanks to this $1.15M grant,
> >Brian Granger and I will be working roughly 3/4 of our time on
> >IPython, Min Ragan-Kelley will be our lead project engineer, and Paul
> >Ivanov and Thomas Kluyver will be working as postdocs on the project.
> >Furthermore,  Matthew Brett and JB Poline of Nipy fame will be working
> >part-time on the development of notebooks for applied statistics in
> >collaboration with Jonathan Taylor from Stanford (these materials will
> >be used by Jonathan in the teaching of his applied stats course, the
> >STAT 191 course - http://www.stanford.edu/class/stats191).  While
> >Brian is at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo,  the rest of our team will be
> >located at Berkeley (with frequent visits to Stanford for the
> >statistics work with Jonathan).
> >
> >This will also give us resources to support two annual all-hands
> >development sprints at Berkeley where I hope all our core developers
> >will be able to attend, as well as funding for cloud resources so that
> >we can provide paid support for our CI hosting and nbviewer beyond
> >what the free plans allow (and further services that may arise over
> >time).
> >
> >We'd like to particularly thank Josh Greenberg, our program director
> >at the Sloan foundation, for the phenomenal guidance and support he
> >provided during the grant proposal preparation and detailed review
> >process.
> >
> >Needless to say, we are extremely excited about these news.  We'll
> >have more announcements to make over the next few weeks, but now I
> >need to get a lot of administrative wheels in motion quickly, as the
> >funding officially starts Jan 1, 2013!
> >
> >All the best,

Chao YUE
Laboratoire des Sciences du Climat et de l'Environnement (LSCE-IPSL)
UMR 1572 CEA-CNRS-UVSQ
Batiment 712 - Pe 119
91191 GIF Sur YVETTE Cedex
Tel: (33) 01 69 08 29 02; Fax:01.69.08.77.16