[IPython-User] [notebook] set axis limits after inline plot?

Thomas Kluyver takowl@gmail....
Thu Dec 13 05:23:30 CST 2012

On 13 December 2012 00:29, Michael Aye <kmichael.aye@gmail.com> wrote:

> is it possible when using --pylab=inline option to change, for example,
> the x-axis limits of a plot already displayed?
>
> I tried to catch the axis object:
>
> In [298]:   ax
> Out[298]: <matplotlib.axes.AxesSubplot at 0x111e30690>
>
> and then set it using ax.set_xlim() and a draw() but I guess the
> results of that don't communicate back to the already inline displayed
> plot in the notebook?

No, for now, once the plot is displayed, it's essentially a static image,
and the only way to change it is to recreate it. The matplotlib developers
have some ideas about how to have interactive plots in the notebook, but
it's not in place yet.

Thomas