[IPython-User] [notebook] set axis limits after inline plot?

Jon Wilson jsw@fnal....
Thu Dec 13 13:52:02 CST 2012

On 12/13/2012 05:23 AM, Thomas Kluyver wrote:
> On 13 December 2012 00:29, Michael Aye <kmichael.aye@gmail.com
> <mailto:kmichael.aye@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     is it possible when using --pylab=inline option to change, for
>     example,
>     the x-axis limits of a plot already displayed?
>
>     I tried to catch the axis object:
>
>     In [298]:   ax
>     Out[298]: <matplotlib.axes.AxesSubplot at 0x111e30690>
>
>     and then set it using ax.set_xlim() and a draw() but I guess the
>     results of that don't communicate back to the already inline displayed
>     plot in the notebook?
>

> No, for now, once the plot is displayed, it's essentially a static
> image, and the only way to change it is to recreate it. The matplotlib
> developers have some ideas about how to have interactive plots in the
> notebook, but it's not in place yet.
One approach is to store the figure and axes into variables, and then
manipulate and redisplay them in a subsequent cell:
In[0]:
fig, ax = subplots()
plot(linspace(-pi, pi, 100), sin(linspace(-pi, pi, 100)))
xlim(-pi, pi)

Out[0]: <plot with x limits at -pi to pi>

In[1]:
ax.set_xlim(-1,1)
fig

Out[1]: <plot with x limits at -1 to 1>