[IPython-User] How to set environment on remote ipengines over SSH

Hannes Bretschneider hannes@psi.utoronto...
Sun Dec 16 20:37:48 CST 2012

Dear all,

I am trying to set up my ipcluster. I start a bunch of ipengines on a remote server through SSH, which works fine, but the problem is that I can't figure out how to set the environment variables for the remote ipengines. I need to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH so all the libraries that my modules use are found, but none of the methods I tried worked out.

1.) I tried pre-pending the ipengine launch cmd in c.SSHEngineSetLauncher.engine_cmd with the environment settings, such as in
  c.SSHEngineSetLauncher.engine_cmd = ['LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/extra/paths/', '/home/hannes/usr/EPD/bin/ipengine', '-c', 'import sys; sys.path.append("/home/hannes/ipython-notebooks")'],
but that prevents the engine from launching properly.

2.) I tried to set the environment as part of the ssh command in c.SSHLauncher.ssh_args = ['-tt'], but that makes ssh fails.

Is there a proper way to do this?

Thanks--Hannes