[IPython-User] nbconvert rendering of iPython output cells represented by core.display classes

Todd Matthews mtoddmatthews@gmail....
Sun Dec 23 11:08:27 CST 2012

Happy to discover nbconvert and find how well it works - with it,
iPython is destined to be the right direction for many work flows!

What is required to represent content in iPython output cells with the
IPython.core.display subpackages and then in the LaTeX produced code
by nbconvert?
For instance, for the following code -

from IPython.core.display import HTML
HTML("<b>This is a test</b> and only a test")

renders the formatted HTML as expected in the iPython output cell. But,
saving the ipynb and running it through nbconvert -f latex does not
display the HTML. Instead, the object text is represented.

<IPython.core.display.HTML at 0xa37276c>

So, what is needed to display render the HTML table in latex from
nbconvert? I suppose the question would be the same for other
core.display types (figures, latex, etc). Being new to nbconvert (and
iPython), I may be missing something. Or, perhaps this level of
rendering has not been fully implemented in nbconvert given its newness.
The pandas dataframe is represented okay with HTML in iPython and
formatted text in latex; but, I don't understand the general strategy
well enough to know what direction to take. Insight would be much
appreciated.