[IPython-User] Notebook: console is not defined

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Wed Feb 1 14:32:14 CST 2012

On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 9:38 PM, klo uo <klonuo@gmail.com> wrote:
> The thing is, I didn't yet noticed "web service" that doesn't work
> with Prism, so I was a bit surprised/disappointed
> js giant services as any Google services i.e. work without issues. MS
> Live too... just can't think others to mention using advanced js
> technologies
>
> Sure I don't know what those js scripts does and perhaps my
> expectations were too high

The issue is that such tools are developed by large companies with
enormous development teams, that have the resources to build multiple
layers of complex fallbacks.  So even when they use modern features,
they have fallback solutions to work with older browsers.

We simply don't have the resources for that, and made the conscious,
explicit decision to target very new technologies that allow us to
develop what we need with our small team.  The price to pay is that
only very modern browsers are supported.

It was a deliberate but in our opinion reasonable tradeoff given our
circumstances.  Given that both Firefox and Chrome, which are freely
available on Linux, OSX and Windows work fine, this decision doesn't
really leave any significant population without an option for using
the notebook.

Best,