[IPython-User] Notebook: console is not defined

MinRK benjaminrk@gmail....
Wed Feb 1 15:05:50 CST 2012

On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 12:36, Fernando Perez <fperez.net@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 5:33 AM, klo uo <klonuo@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > My problem is old PC - 2GB, 3GHz P4 (which I can't upgrade soon) and
> > when I run notebook with pylab I get famous "heartbeat stopped -
> > kernel died" or similar message on startup (usually) and I looked for
> > other way to use this feature.
>
> It is possible to simply raise the heartbeat timeout with:
>
> ipython notebook --MappingKernelManager.time_to_dead=10
>
> which will make it 10 seconds.  Once you find the smallest value that
> works reliably for you, you can put this permanently in your
> configuration file.

Yes, and if you are using master, the more relevant value to set is
MappingKernelManager.first_beat.  I get along fine with a time_to_dead =
0.1, as long as the first beat is long enough to wait for process startup.

-MinRK