[IPython-User] a question about multiple versions of ipython

Thomas Kluyver takowl@gmail....
Tue Feb 7 17:16:18 CST 2012

On 7 February 2012 22:59, Comer Duncan <comer.duncan@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Min and Thomas for your suggestions. I have now installed
> vituralenv and have used ENV/bin/pip to install sphinx, pygments,
> nose, pexpect, and pyzmq.  readline is already in the ENV dir or got
> put there when virtualenv was installed.  I have also git cloned the
> development version.
>
> However, when I try to run ENV/bin/ipython it chokes with:
>
> [homelap-3:~] comerduncan% ~/Downloads/ENV/bin/ipython
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "/Users/comerduncan/Downloads/ENV/bin/ipython", line 8, in <module>
>    load_entry_point('ipython==0.13.dev', 'console_scripts', 'ipython')()
>  File "build/bdist.linux-i686/egg/pkg_resources.py", line 318, in
> load_entry_point
>  File "build/bdist.linux-i686/egg/pkg_resources.py", line 2220, in
> load_entry_point
> ImportError: Entry point ('console_scripts', 'ipython') not found
>
> Alas, something is not right. Can you please let me know what I have
> not yet done or what I may have done incorrectly.

I've not seen this error message before. After cloning the IPython
repository, did you install it in the virtualenv?

source ENV/bin/activate   # This puts ENV/bin on your path, so you can run
commands directly from there.
cd path/to/ipython/repo
python setup.py install

Thomas