[IPython-User] a question about multiple versions of ipython

Aaron Meurer asmeurer@gmail....
Wed Feb 8 14:40:40 CST 2012

If you only ever want to use one at at time, you can do setup.py
develop from the git version, and then git checkout whatever version
you want at any given time.

This is what I do.  I regularly use the git version, but occasionally
I run into a regression, or I use some older code that only works in
0.11. In that case, it's easy to checkout the older version tag when I
need it, and then go back to master when I'm done.

If you plan on doing development on IPython and don't want that to
clobber your global IPython, you might use a separate local git clone
just for this.

Aaron Meurer