[IPython-User] Notebook doesn't produce output

Ullrich Koethe ullrich.koethe@iwr.uni-heidelberg...
Thu Feb 9 16:18:38 CST 2012

Hi Fernando and Benjamin,

thanks for your suggestions.

 >> How can I proceed to fix the problem?
 >
 > This is odd, as the other info you provide seems to indicate that
 > the zmq machinery is working fine.  A few things to help debug:
 >
 > - could you also try with chrome, just to be sure it's not a browser
 > thing?

I tried chrome 17.0.963.46 m, and it didn't work either. The javascript
console says:

Starting WS:
ws://127.0.0.1:8888/kernels/c9eac7c8-c15c-4cdb-8ed9-4d6df5e77e37
Kernel started:  c9eac7c8-c15c-4cdb-8ed9-4d6df5e77e37
event.layerX and event.layerY are broken and deprecated in WebKit. They
will be removed from the engine in the near future.

 > - hit reload on the notebook page (not just the dashboard) to ensure
 > there's no cached  javascript around by chance.

The javascript console displays an error message, see below.

 > - what version of tornado and pyzme are you using?  You can see both
 > with:

import tornado, zmq

tornado.version
Out[28]: '2.2'

zmq.__version__
Out[29]: '2.1.10'

 > The first place to look is always the javascript console (Tools/Web
 > Developer/Error Console in FF).  It is likely there was an error
 > reported there.

There are many CSS warnings when I open the dashboard or a new notebook,
but no errors. When I type or execute a command, nothing appears on the
console (neither error nor warning). However, when I reload the notebook
page I get:

Fehler: Die Verbindung zu
ws://127.0.0.1:8888/kernels/a9a26480-6400-4184-ae62-ad1b0e40a5f5/shell
wurde unterbrochen, während die Seite geladen wurde.
Quelldatei: http://127.0.0.1:8888/static/js/kernel.js
Zeile: 124

Fehler: Die Verbindung zu
ws://127.0.0.1:8888/kernels/a9a26480-6400-4184-ae62-ad1b0e40a5f5/iopub
wurde unterbrochen, während die Seite geladen wurde.
Quelldatei: http://127.0.0.1:8888/static/js/kernel.js
Zeile: 125

(english: connection lost while loading the page)

The same happens when I close the notebook page or press "Restart kernel".

After closing the notebook, I additionaly get:

Error: attempt to run compile-and-go script on a cleared scope
Quelldatei: http://127.0.0.1:8888/static/js/kernel.js
Zeile: 140

I also tried to run Firefox with add-ons disabled, but to no avail.

Best regards
Ulli