[IPython-User] editing a file on a mac

Thomas Kluyver takowl@gmail....
Thu Feb 9 18:09:37 CST 2012

On 9 February 2012 23:13, Comer Duncan <comer.duncan@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am using terminal for ipython.  I don't have Qt installed.
>
> I have tried setting the $EDITOR env variable /usr/bin/vi, sourced my
> .cshrc file, then ran ipython notebook --profile sympy [...]

Ah, OK, this is in the notebook. When we talk about "terminal ipython", we
mean the interface you get when you just type "ipython" at a terminal.
$EDITOR is only relevant for that interface.

I don't think %edit is connected to the notebook yet (I've just tried it,
it doesn't do anything here either). I think the plan is to have a
script-editing mode in the browser using the same tool we have for editing
cells. Brian can probably tell you more about that.

Best wishes,
Thomas

P.S. Because of an oddity of our mailing lists, please remember to
reply-all for these discussions, so that other people can see it and join
in.