[IPython-User] would you recommend ipython notebook to a newb?

Thomas Kluyver takowl@gmail....
Fri Feb 10 08:00:08 CST 2012

On 10 February 2012 13:48, Neal Becker <ndbecker2@gmail.com> wrote:

> I wonder if I should suggest ipython with notebook interface?  Is this
> actually
> a good IDE, or just for playing around with a bit of code?

It's not exactly an IDE - if you want to create Python projects with lots
of linked source files, a traditional IDE is the way to go. But it excels
at tasks where you'd otherwise be switching between editing and running a
script - e.g. to read some data and draw graphs. I see it as a complement
to an IDE, not as an alternative.

Thomas