[IPython-User] ipcontroller failover?

Darren Govoni darren@ontrenet....
Sun Feb 12 13:48:37 CST 2012

On Sun, 2012-02-12 at 11:12 -0800, MinRK wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 12, 2012 at 10:42, Darren Govoni <darren@ontrenet.com>
> wrote:
>         Thanks Min,
>
>         Is it possible to open a ticket for this capability for a
>         (near) future
>         release? It compliments that already amazing load balancing
>         capability.
>

> You are welcome to open an Issue.  I don't know if it will make it
> into one of the next few releases, but it is on my todo list.  The
> best way to get this sort of thing going is to start with a Pull
> Request.

Ok, I will open an issue. Thanks. In the meantime, is it possible for
clients to 'know' when a controller is no longer available? For example,
it would be nice if I can insert a callback handler for this sort of
internal exception so I can provide some graceful recovery options.

>         Perhaps a related but separate notion would be the ability to
>         have
>         clustered controllers for HA.
>

> I do have a model in mind for this sort of thing, though not multiple
> *controllers*, rather multiple Schedulers.  Our design with 0MQ would
> make this pretty simple (just start another scheduler, and make an
> extra call to socket.connect() on the Client and Engine is all that's
> needed), and this should allow scaling to tens of thousands of
> engines.

Yes! That's what I'm after. In this cloud-scale age of computing, that
would be ideal.

Thanks Min.