[IPython-User] ipython qtconsole segmentation fault when displaying calltips / tooltips?

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Wed Feb 15 15:39:09 CST 2012

Hi Stefan,

On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 1:34 PM, Stefan <shmueller2@gmail.com> wrote:

> Also, is there a way to switch off the tooltips on typing "(", so I can work
> for now?

Sounds precisely like this situation:

https://github.com/ipython/ipython/issues/1407

As indicated there, in the meantime you can disable tooltips by
starting your qtconsole with:

--IPythonWidget.enable_calltips=False

and you can set that value permanently in your qtconsole config file with:

c = get_config()
c.IPythonWidget.enable_calltips=False

As best we can tell it's not a bug precisely in ipython itself, but
rather *triggered* by ipython.  Obviously, it would be great to
understand better what exactly activates it.