[IPython-User] ipython prompt slows significantly after importing from mayavi

Stefan shmueller2@gmail....
Fri Feb 17 07:11:41 CST 2012

Hello,

I have given up to get ipython qtconsole working with mayavi on my Mac for
now.

Unfortunately, it doesn't quite work on the plain ipython shell either. Most
of the time, after importing anything from mayavi, e.g.

from mayavi import mlab

the ipython command prompt becomes so slow and unresponsive that it is
impossible to work with. I say "most of the time", since about every fourth
restart of ipython "survives" the mayavi import. If one gets lucky and gets
such a "surviving" shell, it remains responsive even after subsequent mayavi
commands. One could actually do some work then...

Would be great if every "ipython" launch would predictable result in a
workable environment, though.

Hence my post. Is it possible that some buffer in ipython gets almost filled
up when importing a large module? Can one increase this buffer? Any other
ideas how one could remedy this situation?

I tried launching ipython on both Terminal and xterm, both times
experiencing the same behavior. So it doesn't appear to be the underlying
shell that imposes limitations.

Here is my configuration again:

Mac OS 10.7.2 Lion (Macbook Air with 4 GB of memory - should be plenty)
python 2.7.2
qt 4.7.4
pyqt 4.9.1
vtk 5.8.0
ipython 0.12
mayavi 4.1.0

Everything is built from source using homebrew and pip. Flags are both for
64 and 32 bit, where 64bits takes precedence. This could be relevant...

Many thanks for your ideas,

Stefan