[IPython-User] Configuring qtconsole for notebook?

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Mon Feb 20 22:05:33 CST 2012

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 10:22 AM, Tom Brander <tombrander@tombrander.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the help yesterday, I have qt console running via the command
> line using "python2.7 ipython.py qtconsole --pylab qt" So clearly at least
> from the command line it can be found..
>
> But when I attempt to invoke it via %qtconsole in Notebook I get ERROR:
> Magic function `qtconsole` not found.
> I am using Ipython 12 dev (from pypi) and Ubuntu 10.10 and python2.7 (as a
> non-default Python)
>
> I start Ipython as so: "ipython.py notebook --pylab=inline"

It looks like you are trying to start IPython without actually
installing it, and this is likely to cause problems for things that
fire off subprocesses.

The 'ipython.py' script only works as a quick, zero-install way to
start the terminal-based ipython. If you want to use any of IPython's
more advanced features, you *must* actually install IPython after you
download it.